Sunday, March 6, 2011

"What fresh hell is this?"

After years of being told I should start a blog, I have finally decided to give it a shot. What's the worst thing that could happen? Well, I don't know about the worst thing, but bad things could happen.

It's dangerous to tell people too much about what you think. Most people are perfectly willing to accept you as long as your viewpoints don't come into conflict with their own. It's all well and good to make witty comments and be entertaining, but start expressing opinions, and people can get downright hostile. I can be opinionated. I can be caustic. I am given to bouts of sarcasm. I can be too direct when a bit of beating about the bush might be more constructive.

And, deep down, I wonder if my viewpoints are any more compelling than the millions already floating aimlessly around the internet. I wonder if I am equipped for the challenge. Is my rhetoric sufficient to hold the attention of an audience already presented with so much drivel to choose from?

I'm not certain.

But it has often been said that we should not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good. For too long I have threatened to write. Or written and not shared. Or written and deleted. Having never rhetorically satisfied myself, I've kept my thoughts, for better or worse, locked away. But these muscles need exercise lest they begin to atrophy. A wise person once told me "It isn't all going to be Shakespeare." At some point, you have to be brave enough to present yourself to an audience and let the chips fall where they may, or admit you aren't up to the challenge. I'm finished taking that position.

So tonight, I begin my journey. Hopefully, we begin it together. Traveling companions always make the trip more fulfilling.

For those of you who follow me on facebook, you can expect much of the same you have come to expect when my name pops up on your news feed. Only longer. Strange observations, social commentary, politics, and twisted humor. The man said "Write what you know." Well, I'm not sure what I know, but I know I want to write. So write I shall.

I suppose that's as good as any other place to get started.

Then again, it might be an unmitigated disaster. Which will, at the very least, be entertaining. Everyone loves a good train wreck or a perp walk.

Carry on.

JFF

1 comment: